MUSIC, CLEARLY UNDEFINED.

I’ve had bloggers’ block for a month now. I’ve been thinking….and learning…..and remembering. I have been thinking about the seasons of life; and how everything that happens in life is a season. Some seasons are longer than others….but, nonetheless, still seasons. I have also been reminded of the importance of accepting change as an inevitable and sometimes necessary part of life. Nothing but nothing stays the same forever. With change comes pain, with pain comes experience. We grow from change, and we learn from it. Sometimes we make changes, other times change comes when we least expect it. I once said that I do not like change. Not many people do. Do I like it now? No. but I do accept it as part of life. It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our own time is up -- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross You may be surprised to note that this particular post was not thought out. I’m just letting myself go. Therefore I haven’t taken the time to consider all the movies I have watched, the songs that I have listened to or the book(s) that I have read. But I have been in the studio and I have been around some amazing music makers who love music just as much if not even much more than I do. People who live it, breathe it, and on some occasions even feed on it :) Unless you are an artist yourself or somehow found yourself in possession of a deep appreciation of the arts, you cannot understand the mind of an artist. We feel everything deeply, and music is, as one attempted to define it, “what feelings sound like.” Those that don’t get it don’t get us and think we are lunatics. I can’t express my love for music in words. Nor can I define it, just as much as I cannot define love. Music is a deep, celestial mystery and only a few people can really appreciate how profound the sound of music is. Its in your heart beat, it’s in the silence, it’s in the wind, it’s in the rain, its everywhere. One of my favorite movies about music is August Rush. “Do you know what music is? It’s God’s reminder that there’s something else in the universe. Harmonic connection between all living beings everywhere, even the stars. Do you know what’s out there? A series of higher tones arranged by nature. It’s governed by the laws of physics, of the whole universe. It’s an overtone, it’s an energy, it’s a wavelength, and if you’re not riding it, good glory, you’ll never hear it. It comes through us…..(through) some of us; its invisible; but you can feel it. (‘cos) only some of us are listening. Sometimes the world tries to knock it out of you, but I believe in music the way that some people believe in fairy tales.” We rely upon the poets, the philosophers, and the playwrights to articulate what most of us can only feel, in joy and sorrow. They illuminate the thoughts for which we only grope; they give us the strength and balm we cannot find in ourselves. Whenever I feel my courage wavering I rush to them. They will give me the wisdom of acceptance, the will and resilience to push on.-Helen Hayes. Music is poetry, it is philosophy, it is a therapy. Look, I really don't want to wax philosophical, but I will say that if you're alive, you got to flap your arms and legs, you got to jump around a lot, you got to make a lot of noise, because life is the very opposite of death. And therefore, as I see it, if you're quiet, you're not living. You've got to be noisy, or at least your thoughts should be noisy and colorful and lively.- Mel Brooks Life itself is music; love is music, some will call it noise, others will hear the music. Now do you get it? No? I didn’t think so. Oh music, I’m so in love with you, sometimes you’re my only friend. You’re God’s precious gift to mankind, and to me. I never can say goodbye…… She is what feelings sound like. She is love, she is pain, she is joy, she is despondency, she is a teenager needing understanding, she is a woman trying desperately to be heard, she is a man demanding respect. She is make-belief, she is reality, she is tragedy, she is identity. Where words fail, she speaks. She speaks what cannot be expressed, giving company to the lonely heart, soothing the mind, giving it rest. A place of sweet solace. Healing the broken, making it whole, she's a gift from heaven to the hidden parts of the soul. I love you, music. Myra-Nicole Thank You for MUSIC.

Comments